To Clone a harddrive in Win98?

AC-B 19:16 16 Apr 06

Can anyone recommend some software for cloning my c: drive in Windows 98, please?

My harddrive is on its way out (occasionally fails to boot) and I cannot find my MS Windows 98SE registration key - the one given in Control Panel -> System, System Properties doesn't work! Is it hidden in the registruy somewhere?

I've got an old HP Pavillion PC with a recovery CD which asks for the registration code during installation... I've moved four times since I last used it!

Therefore, I'm looking to effectively clone the hard-disk to a new one and the new drive be bootable - any help would be most appreciated. The cheaper the software, the better, as I intend to replace my PC in a couple of months.

VoG II 19:21 16 Apr 06

Try click here for the product key.

Devil Fish 19:23 16 Apr 06

you would need a third party program such as True Image Or Ghost

Ghost click here

True Image click here|545230217&gclid=CM-pwuuFsoQCFTxoMAodRW3YCg

the above cost

or if you know what your hard drive is check manufacturers website they may have some utility you can use

AC-B 20:17 16 Apr 06

The product key finder worked - I now have a rather small but bootable drive that I can plug in.

I shall also be exploring the software recommendations further...

Many thanks

woodchip 20:30 16 Apr 06

Before you do. Try this download the tenth file from
click here

Put a floppy in the drive and double click the download to create a boot disc. Start with the Disc and at A:\> type

A:\>FDISK /MBR press enter.

Then see if the computer boots OK. If it does Double click My Computer right click C:\Properties\Tools\Scandisk do a full scan and auto correct errors. Then put a Win98se CD in comp and rerun setup over it's self. This Will reload damaged files by loading them to a good part of the disc

EJ1947 20:31 16 Apr 06

A free ghost programme is xxclone. See here click here for previous thread.

Wak 22:12 16 Apr 06

Hi, I'm still running XXCLONE with Win 98SE every two weeks and wouldn't be without it.
It clones everything -- system files, registry, programs,data files and can be cloned back to the original drive if the system goes belly up.
PS. It's also FREE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…