Clone disk

pjay45 11:05 16 May 06

I want to replace my hard disk with a larger one and have been reading the postings on this subject, however one thing is still not clear to me. Do I format the new drive first? If I don't what happens when I clone a 40gig to 160gig?

rmcqua 11:16 16 May 06

that you need to format the new drive first.

SANTOS7 11:17 16 May 06

I would leave your 40gig in your tower and put the 160gig in as a slave drive then use the larger drive to put any backups important file/folders cloning your HDD can be done useing
click here
something like Acronis true image shown in the link.....

DieSse 11:20 16 May 06

No you don't format the new drive first.

What happens when you clone depends on the cloning program. You will either get a 40GB partition, or the opportunity to expand to 160GB partition.

If you get a 40GB partition, the rest of the space will be unallocated. In WinXP you can use Disk Management to allocate and format the space from within Windows. Earlier versions of Windows are different.

Some hard drives come with - or you can download - a new drive installation and cloning program. Seagate and MaxTor are particularly good in this respect.

Are you certain your system will support 160GB drives - some older systems are limited to 137GB (some even less) - in this case you will also require drive manufacturers software to overcome this limit (limit is from the Motherboard/BIOS).

pjay45 11:27 17 May 06

Thank you DieSse I will check outwhat you suggest and give it a whirll

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…