CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error with a WIn8.1 dell

SANAP 21:15 25 May 16

I have Dell XPS 8700 Desktop with 32gb ram and 256 ssd c drive and 2tb d drive. Its nearly 2 years old and today I got a BSOD with error message "CLOCKWATCHDOGTIMEOUT" It did a 100% check and did say it would restart but it did not. So I switched off and then back on and I expected some report from MS but nothing. I did a google and got a few hints, ie cpu, outdated drivers etc. Before I mess up, how do I check that all drivers are up to date? I assumed as I am always online it was done automatically. To check BIOS I go to DEll.

Has anyone had this fault and was it easy to resolve and how?? And how do I check drivers ie is there a good free prog I can use or is it easier than that? Win 8.1 has been flawless so much so I no longer know how to do anything software related!! I miss xp and win 7.

Any help greatly appreciated.

ps I dont want win 10 yet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 25 May 16

Reboot and let windows go through its checks again after three unsuccessful boots windows should boot to the advanced tools where you can select repair this computer.

First try a system Restore to a time before the problem started.

SANAP 22:53 25 May 16

Thanks I did not make it clear that PC is running smooth as a nut just now but I am anticipating a recurrence or has the PC repaired itself?

And sorry for bad original post.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 26 May 16

It's probably sorted itself.

As for win 10 you only have tl july 29th for the free upgrade

If you like win 8 the you'l have no problem with 10 as its no different to use but faster.

SANAP 22:03 26 May 16

thank you. I like keeping my os sytems!! got xp win 7 and now win8.1. And I keep hearing about all the offputting bits in computer active but I may take the plunge. I bet they extend the free upgrade.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:03 26 May 16

MS have annoce they are NOT extending the free offer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…