clock telling wrong time

peg leg 15:29 12 Aug 05

Hi everyone.
Sometimes when I put my computer on the clock tells the wrong time.
I can go for days with the clock correct then it goes wrong again.
I am running windows xp home.
Thanks

The Old Mod 15:31 12 Aug 05

Hi, how old is the pc

Bren.ie 15:57 12 Aug 05

You may need to update a small battey inside the computer. Check your motherboard manual.

johnnyrocker 15:59 12 Aug 05

try setting it to the atomic clock which should be self correcting.

johnny.

Stuartli 16:04 12 Aug 05

Normally a gradual decline in the accuracy of the time display indicates a failing CMOS battery (normally a CR3020 type), but the fact that it does keep good time for lengthy periods might indicate another cause.

A simple way to overcome it would be to double click on the time display in the Taskbar, go to the Internet Time tab and set it to automatically update as necessary.

peg leg 16:45 12 Aug 05

Thanks for the replies,I'm going to download the atomic clock and see how it goes.
It should'nt be the pc as it's almost new.

DieSse 16:46 12 Aug 05

"Sometimes when I put my computer on the clock tells the wrong time"

How wrong - a bit out, or a totally wrong date and time?

When the computer is shut down, there is a battery inside which keeps the date and tme going (just like a battery powered watch)

When the computer is running, the time is kept by the Windows software, and when you switch off, the then current time shown by the clock is written to the battery kept bit.

ACOLYTE 16:50 12 Aug 05

If your using xp there is an option to check the clock from the web witch can be altered to suit you and adjust it when needed.

wee eddie 16:56 12 Aug 05

What type of PC is it?

We can assume your running Windows XP.

roisin dubh 17:07 12 Aug 05

Just thought I'd add my threepen'orth, had same sort of problem a couple of years ago, clock was spot on, however when I ran cpu-intensive processes (in my case video conversion) the clock did seem lose time as cpu was at 100 pc usage for 12 hours solid. Since upgraded pc and cpu conversion now doesn't take 100 pc of usage and clock keeps good time. Was advised when I asked that the video conversion programme I was using was taking up that much cpu that it was practically freezing pc a times and as a result pc wasn't keeping clock up to speed. have you been running anything intensive prior to clock losing time?

peg leg 18:53 12 Aug 05

Hi,
I have right clicked the time and gone into date and time properties,in the time zone it was set to Pacific time!
I have now set it to Greenwitch mean time which should sort it.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…