Clock change and black screen on startup

AJ28 13:53 13 Feb 10

Hi all, i've recently been having some serious problems with my acer laptop running vista. The main problem is i can very rarely actually start the system up, after being turned on the fans start going and such then suddenly stop and nothing will happen but a black screen, although the power lights are on.
I have to turn it off and on again several times to get any life out of it, occasionally i will get the screen giving an option to press F2 for setup, but this sometimes freezes, very very rarely windows will actually start up and can be used as normal.
However, everytime this happens i have noticed the computer clock changes back to June 1st, 2005 at 1am.
I have googled about this problem and i have seen sometimes this date change can resort to problems with an internal battery?
Does this sound at all plausible and could it be affecting the ability for the system start up?
Thanks for reading, hope someone can help.

Sea Urchin 14:01 13 Feb 10

Yes it could - you need to fit a new CMOS battery.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…