marilynbell 00:19 10 Feb 04

On trying a few websites tonight I found I couldn't log on and then I found that the time had changed on the clock on my PC it was reading the year 2164 instead on 2004 any idea how this could have happened is it anything sinister

hugh-265156 00:34 10 Feb 04

maybe your motherboard battery needs replacing.

is the time correct in your bios? also double click the clock in the taskbar and click "internet time/update now"

if it changes when you restart the computer again my guess is its the battery.

marilynbell 00:39 10 Feb 04

I hope it's not that the pc is only a month old, so it shouldn't be, I thought maybe I had downloaded something that had changed the time

jakimo 00:45 10 Feb 04

Oh Dear,an OMEN! 2164 adds up to 13,and it will be the 13th on friday.....if you must go out wear a string of garlic around your neck.

On the other hand it might be your battery.

marilynbell 00:45 10 Feb 04

Clicked internet time and re-started and correct time appeared on re-start so it can't be the battery, it's been playing up all day today and I couldn't figure out why, there isn't a nasty bug out there is there that goes round changing clocks

hugh-265156 00:58 10 Feb 04

not that i know of.

run your AV and do a check for spyware and nasties if you want with adaware or spybot click here click here

battery could have been in a wharehouse for years before it was put into your mobo.its only a few quid to replace it.normally its a CR-2032.

Pesala 11:43 10 Feb 04

If your PC is relatively new and still under warranty do not attempt to do this yourself as you could ruin the PC and invalidate the warranty. If it is out of warranty, take it to a local PC repair shop.

A couple of sites that say how to do it:

click here

click here

Pesala 11:45 10 Feb 04

Only (484 K) click here to download this free utility to keep your clock synchronised. It takes a matter of a few seconds if you are already online.

Pesala 11:47 10 Feb 04

Atomic clock can me made to autostart with windows and synchronise daily

Stuartli 14:10 10 Feb 04

I presume you have XP so double click on the time (bottom right of the screen); when the panel appears open the third tab (Internet clock) and then on the Update Now button whilst you are online.

Also make sure the day, date and year are correct in the Day and Date tab zone - be sure you OK it before closing.

marilynbell 15:10 10 Feb 04

It's ok now but what I couldn't understand was why it had changed in the first place, I certainly hadn't done it and as far as I know nobody else had, as they wouldn't have known how. I wondered if something on the web had done it maybe something I had downloaded, I've scanned with antivirus and spybot and nothing is showing up also I have spyblaster running, so I don't know how anything could have got in, I'm running Pc cillin internet security which also scans for spyware. It's a mystery and no mistake

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…