The clipboard

preston 06:26 11 Oct 09

What is the clipboard. I keep seeing things that say clip to clipboard if you want to keep a note. how do i do that.

mooly 07:17 11 Oct 09

When you "select" something such as text (by holding the left button down) and highlighting it in blue, like this :)

What is the clipboard. I keep seeing things that say clip to clipboard if you want to keep a note. how do i do that

and then right clicking and selecting "copy" you have saved to the clipboard. You can then "place" that text somewhere else, even in another program such as notepad etc
Or right click a picture or web address like this

click here

and select copy and then "paste" it where you want.

If you also press CTRL and PRTSC (print screen) that take a whole copy of for ex this page to the clipboard. Open a program such as wordpad or paint and select "edit" and "paste special" from the toolbar at the top and that will place this image on the screen in that program... try it :)

mooly 07:47 11 Oct 09

Should add the clipboard holds one item at once so each time you copy something it erases the previous item.
Any item is retained for as long as the PC is on.

cocteau48 08:16 11 Oct 09

mooly's second post highlights the frustratingly limited functionality of the basic Windows clipboard.

There are many free alternatives available which will do so much more (like storing up to 200 clippings)click here

Taff™ 10:36 11 Oct 09

Slight correction to mooly`s last post - the office clipboard will hold 24 items. In any Office Program go to the Edit Menu and click the Office Clipboard to switch it on. You can find all the different ways of using this function by going to Word Help and type "clipboard" into the search function.

preston 11:01 11 Oct 09

I already know what Mooly Posted, just did not know, i was already doing it. Don't use Word much, but seems i had better start learning. Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant