Is Client without Firewall a Back-Door to Host?

Deb-232479 13:09 16 May 06

I have a home network with 4 computers. 2 belong to the kiddies and hold no important data. I have just had to remove the old, no-longer-supported Sygate Personal Firewall from one of these. Do I really need to find a replacement firewall? Does a Client without a Firewall provide hackers with a backdoor to the Host and other Clients?

MichelleC 17:07 16 May 06

I have hardware and software firewalls, and very rarely things still get past. Free Kerio is very good click here

ade.h 17:09 16 May 06

You should look upon hardware and client firewalls as different things - their abilities overlap slightly - and this should influence your choice.

A hardware firewall primarily offers inbound protection, something that is not 100% essential, but perhaps becomes more so in a network environment, hence its place as a standard feature. It also allows varying degrees (dependent upon the product) of network permissions, port control and so on.

A client firewall is not 100% essential nor is it 100% secure. But it is extremely useful and valid. It has certain abilities that a hardware firewall cannot have; for example, program launch control, program internet access control, web filtering etc. It is also somewhat easier to use for the purposes of network permissions. For example my bussiness PC are networked with the family's PCs, but my client firewalls make it easy to make the shares visible one way only.

click here and read fully before downloading. I say that because at first glance, it does not appear to be free, but is. This is arguably the best *free* network-centric firewall available and certainly has the best client control.

ade.h 17:11 16 May 06

You nipped in there with your Kerio recommendation while I was typing!

dms05 17:50 16 May 06

Comodo do a very extensive Firewall. It's free as well, you just need to renew the license annually. Have a look click here

Deb-232479 16:48 17 May 06

That's great - thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'll have a trawl through the info and see which is most suitable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…