client wireless laptop can't see host wired desk

RAP75 09:29 22 Feb 06

I have set up a network with a wireless laptop (XP Pro)and a wired desktop (XP Home) connecting via a linksys broadband g router. I can: see the laptop and see /open laptop files in the desktop network places window, see but not open desktop files on the laptop, access internet from both computers, print from both computers from a machine connected to the desktop. I cannot change the firewall settings on the desktop ethernet card because it says associated service is not running, can't start ICS service. The goal is to be able to share files between the two computers not just merely have them both connected to the Internet. Pinging at all IP's now stands at 100% unsuccessful altho. at one point (before I made too many setting changes) I could ping the desktop from the laptop but not vice versa. HELP!

keewaa 10:00 22 Feb 06

This article might help, along with the rest of it.
click here

dms05 10:19 22 Feb 06

As you've realised XP Home and XP Pro act differently. I had problems for years trying to integrate an XP Pro laptop with others running XP Home. My eventual solution was to run XP Home on all the computers and that solved my problem. You will find lots of threads on this subject! click here for example.

I hope mgmcc looks at your posting. He often offers very good helpful advice on networking.

mgmcc 16:29 22 Feb 06

This is strange because, if I read it correctly, you are having a problem accessing files in the XP Home Desktop from the XP Pro laptop; the problem is usually trying to access files in an XP Pro PC.

As you are behind a router, I would suggest you start by disabling the Firewall completely in the desktop PC. Each computer should be able to ping successfully (a) its own IP address, (b) the router's IP address and (c) the remote PC's IP address.

<<< I cannot change the firewall settings on the desktop ethernet card because it says associated service is not running, can't start ICS service. >>>

If you have SP2 installed, just disable the firewall completely. You don't want to enable ICS because the PC isn't sharing its internet connection, the router is providing internet access to both computers. Similarly, ICS shouldn't be enabled on any connection in the laptop.

Presumably you have actually set at least one folder as "shared" in the PC by right clicking it and selecting the "Sharing & Security" option?

Also in the Advanced TCP/IP settings, try setting "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Do this in both computers. Open the Network connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection (or Wireless Network connection), select Properties, highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the next box, click the Advanced button. In the next again box, select the WINS tab and click "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Click OK back through the various boxes.

Something which might help to get the two talking is to use "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". This doesn't need configuring with IP addresses and so on like TCP/IP and isn't affected by firewalls. However, for internet access, TCP/IP is still required.

To install "IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in Windows XP, go into the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. In the General tab, click the Install button. In the next box, highlight Protocol and click Add. Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and click OK.

ade.h 19:03 22 Feb 06

If it's so damn hard to get Pro and Home to share files, how come I have always managed it, even when I was totally new to networking? I don't profess to be an expert in these things, as I have been playing catch-up for the last three or four months, but it seems so straightforward. A sight easier, in fact, than getting ICS to work reliably over a peer-to-peer wired LAN.

Whether Ethernet peer-to-peer or routed wireless LAN, it has always worked right out of the box. Both my laptop and desktop run Pro; the other half's laptop and the family desktop run Home. They all fileshare happily.

I think it is wide of the mark to blame the OS when the two flavours are actually so similar. Their networking systems are indentical as far as I can ascertain.

mgmcc 19:34 22 Feb 06

Actually, I think the whole business is totally unpredictable. A couple of weeks ago I had a new PC (XP Pro SP2) belonging to someone else connected to my router. I was able to transfer files between it and my PC (also XP Pro SP2) when the logins were not the same and the computers were not even in the same Workgroup - that, as far as I'm aware, shouldn't have worked. The converse to that is that some users, with a couple of computers running XP Home in the same Workgroup, can't get them to talk to one another.

One thing though, I have *NEVER* used the network wizard to set up networking and I'm sure that has prevented a lot of hassle. I believe it is much too easy for users who don't know what they are doing to select an incorrect option when using the wizard.

ade.h 21:18 22 Feb 06

I'm not a fan of wizards; the name is a misnomer, because it suggests a cleverness that in fact may not be present!

I think that your friend's laptop may have been informed of (not necessarily assigned) the prevailing workgroup name, since it's stored in your router.

My experiences would suggest that it does work, provided it's not P2P, which definitely is tied to one workgroup.

keewaa 22:34 22 Feb 06

For home router networks the wizard doesn't do much anyway :
Adds Client Microsoft client for MS Networks, Protocol Microsoft TCP/IP, File and Print sharing for MS networks, Enables Netbios, Checks Name and Workgroup, and shares folders and printer . Is there anything else?

The XP pro name/password logon issue should only be an issue when simple filesharing is disabled, as XP home only has this type.

dms05 07:21 23 Feb 06

ade.h - I agree with mgmcc about the unpredictable nauture of Networking. My old Toshiba laptop running XP Pro would never become a full member of my Network. I've just bought an additional Acer Aspire 5003 laptop running XP Home and that, straight form the box, joined the Network without a problem. My only observation - I tried to incorporate the old laptop after about a two years of non-network use whereas with the new one it was almost the first thing I did. I'm sure in the 2 year period I managed to inadvertantly change some settings and that didn't become obvious until I tried to network.

RAP75 04:25 26 Feb 06

Thanks for the suggestions, mgmcc. Tried what you suggested but no luck. Might have to call in some paid posse; my first networking experience. Somehow logic is not the final word on this. Comforting to know others have similar frustration. *$%#$@

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…