Client computers unable to connect to internet

Red Devil 09:17 13 Sep 03

I've recently changed from having a dial up connection with Freeserve to having a broadband connection with Nildram.

Now neither of my 2 client computers will connect to the internet. Instead I get a 403 error saying :-

Forbidden

You were denied access because:

Access dnied by access control list.

I've tried resetting up the connections on both my client computers but still get the same error.

What sort of things do I need to be checking/what can I do to sort this out?

Cheers.

Forum Editor 09:59 13 Sep 03

connected? If your modem is connected to a router it may be that you must grant access via the router's inbuilt firewall.

Provide us with a little more information about your setup, and we'll try to help.

Red Devil 10:10 13 Sep 03

OK, I have a router with built in modem that connects to a network card in my host computer.

My 2 client computers then connect to a hub which is also connected to my host computer via a 2nd network card in the machine.

My router is a Zyxel Prestige 600.

All the network cards are Netgear FA311's

My host computer runs Windows XP as does one of the clients.

The other client runs Windows ME.

The hub is also a Netgear product (an EN2005).

Is that enough info (sorry about not providing it before)?

Cheers.

Forum Editor 10:31 13 Sep 03

that you're getting is normally associated with a damaged dial up network connection.

Tell me, is your router one of those that needs to get its power from the PCI bus on your machine, or does it have it's own external power supply? I ask because I'm wondering why you don't connect the two other machines directly to the router, rather than via a hub. That way,as long as the hub was powered up each machine would have Internet access - even though the others may be switched off.

Either way, I think that you need to run the Internet connection sharing wizard on each machine, and let it detect the router connection.

Red Devil 10:42 13 Sep 03

And it still doesn't work.

This is probably going to be a stupid question but would my problems have anything to do with the proxy settings for HTTP and FTP setting themselves to:-

click here?

Otherwise I am at a loss.

As for my router - it has it's own PS. I have considered connecting each computer to the router but, for the moment, I would like to have each computer connecting to the internet via the host.

Cheers

Webmaster 10:58 13 Sep 03

That should not be a problem @ cache. :-/ Have you got your gateway and DNS settings for the NIC correct, including an IP address? Perhaps you are using DHCP if the router is controlling this.

Red Devil 12:45 13 Sep 03

Do you mean that I have to set up the gateway and dns settings on the client computers or check to see if they're correct on the host.

Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Cheers

Webmaster 14:29 13 Sep 03

Okay. It would be best for the router to be the primary gateway for all machines if it is independently powered. Then, if the router does not have a built in switch, patch it from the one ethernet port to a switch/hub and then patch each of the computers to the switch. As FE explains, this would result in the connection being available for all, even if the machine, that you call the 'host', has been powered down.

This is, by far, the most ideal way - why use up resources on your 'host' machine if the Internet can be served by a dedicated box; a router plus a switch? If it is desirable to go through one 'host' machine, as you have it, it would be best to use some sort of better proxying software, such as Terrapin Multinet [click here] - extremely reliable for a small fee. There are free proxy server applications out there, such as AnalogX, but I find that these tend to fall over far too easily - other account holders on this forum might be able to help you here, or just do a simple Google search [click here].

However, if you really are determined to use ICS, bridging the Internet from your router to your other machines, then my advice about gateway and DNS settings will not apply to this situation.

By the way, why are you wanting to distribute the Internet in this fasion?

Red Devil 08:17 28 Oct 03

Well - NAV now updates and scans automatically though only because my subscription service ran out and I bought NAV 2004 from Symantec's online store.

Still, at least I'm sorted out now.

Red Devil 08:19 28 Oct 03

This is not the thread that I posted to yet it's been posted in here and the htread now says resolved - what gives?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…