Clicking whilst on the net

JEFoord 00:38 07 May 06

I have started getting a constabt clicking whilst on the net.
Even if i sign on aol then close all windows that pop up when i sign on, i keep getting a constant clicking. i used to get a single click every time i clicked on a link, now i get a click every 3 or 4 seconds even if i dont touch anything.
I have worked out how to stop the noise completely by control panel - sounds - windows explorer - start navigation - none.
But i am worried that something is going on that shouldn't be and i can't get it back to having a single click when i click on a link, it seems to be either a click every few seconds or nothing at all. It never used to be like this but i dont know how it has happened, any advice would be very welcome,

Thanks

John

remind 01:23 07 May 06

Have you done a full scan with AOL antispyware?

JEFoord 01:28 07 May 06

yep - nothing showing up there

Gandalph 01:32 07 May 06

I used to get exactly the same thing happening with IE6 for some reason. I never did find a cure for it. Since I have gone over to Firefox it has never happened. I know this will not help you very much but at least it may give you a starting point if you are using IE.

remind 01:33 07 May 06

Can you disable any popup blockers in AOL and see what turns up? I'm assuming something is attempting to open a new window and being blocked, as you have suggested.
Do you run any other antispyware? Spywareblaster is a n essential click here
and Ewido is a very effective scanner for Win 2000/XP.
Spybot is worth downloading for its immunisation and scanner too.

JEFoord 01:34 07 May 06

I am using IE6, just cant work out why it has all of a sudden started to happen. Food for thought though, thanks.

JEFoord 01:35 07 May 06

i use adaware which i normally find very good, but that isn't finding anything.

remind 01:43 07 May 06

set your audio up to enable clicking again, run filemon click here to find out what program is generating the clicking (ie what program is opening/loading the click audio .wav file)

JEFoord 01:56 07 May 06

have downloaded and started filemon, where does it say what program is opening the click audio .wav file?

remind 01:59 07 May 06

look for successful `opens`, or just do a search (press f3) for click.wav or whatever your click sound is

Gandalph 02:09 07 May 06

Click on Control Panel>Sounds and Devices then click on the sound Tab. Scroll down the Windows sounds and see if you have a speaker Icon next to Start or Start Navigation, if you have turn off the sound for this then go back to IE and see what happens then. If the clicking stops then that is the problem.

As remind said it could be that a new window is trying to open and a pop-up blocker is stopping it but the Start.wav file is still being activated.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…