"clicking" when copying (music) CD's

fazer 16:11 06 Jan 03
  fazer 16:11 06 Jan 03

I have been plagued by a particular frustrating problem when I try and copy music cd's( being played on my DVD drive) onto my CDR/RW drive.

The problem is that towards the end of the copied cd, there is a constant clicking sound which is very audible - its there throughout the cd but much less so at the beginning. Its not a regular clicking and because of that fact, I thought it might be another program process elsewhere on the computer.

I've tried shutting down other programs (virus scan etc), have'nt any non-essential background applications running (following advice following another problem I had months ago),I don't touch the mouse when recording, and even copy at x1 speed - all to no avail.

Any advice please.

Am running Windows 98, and the software is Adaptec CD Creator.

Thank you in anticipation.

nyleridedog 16:17 06 Jan 03

yes i have had this prob with my cds in the past and just yesterday.
It has to do with all the different types of disc speeds and disc drives cos their is so many different combos ,
have you tried different cdrs?

BRYNIT 16:47 06 Jan 03

how are you copying the disk and what program are you using

fazer 17:40 06 Jan 03

I'm copying "directly" from one disc to another using "Adaptec Easy CD Creator" - which basicly allows me to choose the source-type of CD (music, data etc), and choose the copy speed etc.My hard disk is not being touched.

The clicking is not dependent on CD make neither is it dependent on whether its a CDRW or CDR.

Stuartli 19:06 06 Jan 03

Why not try the copy to hard disk first method and then burning?

It also provides superior quality.

WiLL-A 19:17 06 Jan 03

I agree with that one.

Get a program called Easy CD-DA Extractor as it supports digital audio extraction and lets you specify the ouput quality and format to your hardisk.

If you have have the space you can extract the files in their original .WAV format hence not losing out on quality in the conversion process that u get with MP3 and WMA.

WiLL-A 19:20 06 Jan 03

I agree with that one.

Get a program called Easy CD-DA Extractor as it supports digital audio extraction and lets you specify the ouput quality and format to your hardisk.

If you have have the space you can extract the files in their original .WAV format hence not losing out on quality in the conversion process that u get with MP3 and WMA.

From there, create a playlist and copy to CD. The above program also lets you copy so called copyright protected Cds.

As also mentioned, try changing CDR brands and try using NERO (highly recommended) instead of Easy CD Creator.

And lastly make sure that windows is up 2 date and that your CD writer has the lasted firmware update.

skeletal 19:36 06 Jan 03

I had a related problem using CE Quadrant with my Plexwriter (there was an occasional burst of white noise).

I tried using Plextor's own CD copying program and the problem went away.

I thus conclude that some copy programs are better than others.

I use CE for all digital stuff and Plextor for audio.

I tried Nero a long time ago but found it a bit hard to use. I have heard good reports about its quality though.

Skeletal

fazer 21:19 06 Jan 03

Thanks folks.

I think the first thing I'll try is to copy to my hard disk then onto a blank cd - it did'nt cross my mind that this would afford better quality (in the HiFi-analogue world this is the worst thing you can do !).

I'll mark this as "resolved" and try it the next couple of days.

Thank you all again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5