Clicking noise, possible hard drive failing?

Roadgiant 10:05 19 Feb 05

I have heard a clicking noise coming from my pc(a bit like the ticking of an old fashioned clock for those people like me old enough to remember!).
The noise seems to continue for about 20 seconds and then stop and has only happened a couple of times over the last couple of weeks, the hard drive light comes on (when this has occured I have been using IE6 and the screen apears to freeze and then clear).
Apart from the above the pc is functioning fine (heavy use over last weeks half term by teenage son!).
Is this a sign of possible future hardrive failure?
Thanks in advance RG

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:09 19 Feb 05

A new HD will cost around £30 or less click here. For that price I would be ordering one nowG

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:10 19 Feb 05

Ps...if your HD is not on it's way out you can at least use it as a backup drive.

numskull 11:13 19 Feb 05

If you are using XP then try control panel, administrative tools then event viewer.
In application or system you should see a warning that your hard disk is about to fail.

I started to get these messages frequently and decided to replace the hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…