clicking HDD

Ray5776 20:55 30 Jul 07

Hi everyone,
I have a Seagate ST3160022ACE hard drive about 18 months old, 160GBytes, temp shows at 39C.
System performance seems to be getting slower and there is a lot of clicking noises which seem to be from the hard drive, not the normal whirring sound for want of a better description.
I would not expect HDD starting to fail so soon but am also getting random shutdowns.
What do you think? to me the HDD just does not sound right.

Ray

howard64 21:05 30 Jul 07

make sure everything is backed up in case it is failing. Any device can fail and the failure may only be 0.001% of those made but if they make several million of them 1 or 2 will fail.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 30 Jul 07

back up everything yuo need.

download and run the seatools program from seagate to diagnose the problems on your drive.

click here

Ray5776 21:52 30 Jul 07

Thanks for your replies, full back up in progress now
I am fairly good at backing up anyway having learnt the hard way :-)
If this is a failing drive then I must be extreemly unlucky as it will be the third in three years, I had two twin Hitachies fail after 13 and 15 months respectively.
I will have a look your link Fruit Bat and try it out tommorow, for the moment I will sort the backup.
Thanks Ray

Ray5776 19:09 31 Jul 07

Ok the noise has gone today and all seems well but it was clicking for 4/5 days so I still don`t trust it.
I have downloaded Fruit Bats suggestion so how do I use it?

ray

Ray5776 21:39 31 Jul 07

bump

Ray5776 19:06 01 Aug 07

Fruit Bat, I have downloaded the tools onto a floppy and a cd when I boot from either of them I get the normal "Accept our terms etc yes or no"
If I click Y or N which are my only options nothing happens at all.

Ray

Ray5776 21:35 01 Aug 07

Fruit Bat, Thanks for the tools link I have now managed to use it and it says drive is OK.
My fault as I was trying to use a wireless keyboard which of course will not work if I am booting from a floppy or cd. Now using a wired one so sorted that out.
The test says that the drive is working OK but I know from experience that any drive making these kind of noises is in the departure lounge, I will give it two to six weeks and I bet it fails.
I will make sure I have the backups.

Thanks Ray

woodchip 21:39 01 Aug 07

The MBR may be corrupt. Clicking does not mean the Hard Drive is on it's way out< it could be. But it could also be the MBR as if it's corrupt it has difficulty reading and finding files on the drive

woodchip 21:41 01 Aug 07

If you have a Floppy Drive download the DOS version of Seatools from click here
Put a floppy in the drive and double click on the file you downloaded. It will create a disc, start computer with the disc

Ray5776 21:58 01 Aug 07

Thanks woodchip I have in fact done this and it shows no errors. Intermittent faults are the worst thing as we all know, works fine today, what will tomorrow bring.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…