Clicking /file/properties siezes my computer!

fred2 18:21 15 May 04

Hi' If I right click the 'properties ' of an .htm or any image file ie: jpg or gif etc. I get the message that tells me..
Runtime error. Program:c\windows\explorer.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"
And everything stops! Cont/Alt/Del and end task does'nt seem to do anything and I have to reboot!
Other filetypes Ie: doc, bak, dll, etc. etc. show the properties OK.
Have I got a dodgy 'Windows Explorer.exe file?
If so how can I replace it? Whats a Runtime error?
Hope you can help
fred2

fred2 18:27 15 May 04

PS.Im using Win 98 SE

Diodorus Siculus 18:29 15 May 04

Give the system file checker a run

start

run

sfc

and click run.

You will need the CD.

fred2 18:35 15 May 04

Many thanks Diodorus.
I tried that earlier and got scared!
It came up with so many changed and updated files I felt I'd better leave it alone before I did more damage! What's the simple way to do it?
Thanks again fred2

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 15 May 04

That is the simple way to do it; let it make the necessary changes. If anything, you may have to reinstall some software again but if you have the downloads / install disks, then you should be ok.

fred2 15:38 30 May 04

Sorry for the late reply.
I've had a go with sfc. It reports nearly every Windows file has changed! I have tended to click "Update verification" If the current file is newer than the original.
When I try to restore a file it doesn't seem to find it from my Win98 disc and I dont know which Dir. to tell it to fetch it from!
I tried to re-instal win 98 but it did'nt really go very smoothly!
I think as long as it works at a fashion I'd better leave it all alone. Before I really screw-up!
Very many thanks for all your help and patience.
Regards Fred2

jgd 23:14 18 Nov 04

Hi .. Found your post by searching as I have recently started getting a similar problem ... running W98 SE, with same 'runtime' error message when right clicking to properties on some files.

Have tried SFC as suggested but in my case has only thrown up user.exe. Can't find that on the W98 cd but anyway seems unlikely this not modified at some time.

As final irony, tried properties on user.exe on drive C and it worked! It advised user.exe only modifed 4 yrs ago (shortly after initial installation), so presumably not the problem.

Wondered if you had any further insight/advice which you did'nt post.

Here's hoping, Cheers, John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…