"Click here" problems

Pineman100 18:41 17 Nov 09

On a few occasions recently I have responded to threads on this forum and included URLs. As you know, the URL should have represented itself as a blue "click here".

But once or twice the last few characters of the URL have separated themselves from the link, like this: click here=|c:1430|&Sort=1. It's happened a few times, and appears to relate to the fact that the page I have linked to is not the home page of the website.

Is this something to do with a setting on my computer?

I run Vista SP3 and IE8.

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 09

No it happens with Me using 98se or XP Home

woodchip 18:51 17 Nov 09

PS they still work

Pineman100 19:03 17 Nov 09

Yes, the links still work, but they don't take you to the page I copied them from - they usually take you to a higher page or homepage.

It's only happened since I got my new Vista computer - the old XP machine never exhibited this problem!

Sea Urchin 19:09 17 Nov 09

In fact they don't always work at all - but any long URL can easily be converted to a tinyURL and you'll have no more trouble.

click here

Pineman100 19:19 17 Nov 09

Ah - so it's not just me!

Your tinyURL idea is the perfect solution, so I've added the website to my Favourites.

Many thanks for your help.

Sea Urchin 19:50 17 Nov 09

And you can drag the link to your toolbar to make it even quicker (see Add tinyURL to your browser toolbar) - just click and it converts the page you have open at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now