Click here failed

Wilham 13:11 19 Jan 04

Directions to a web page are more useful to all if taken all the way to the target page, but on two occasions now my select>copy>page>paste routine has failed with the click address truncated, and followed by an indigestible string.
Could the length be too long for autoclick? If so, is there a simple test?

hugh-265156 13:13 19 Jan 04

make it a shorter link click here click here then paste the short link in the forum etc.

Wilham 13:17 19 Jan 04

Splendid suggestions...great. Is there a guide as to when needed?

Jester2K 13:34 19 Jan 04

Just use it whenever you want - long links with punctuation marks seem to be the main culprits for broken links (MS Knowledge base etc)

Wilham 14:43 19 Jan 04

Useful info Jester2k, thanks. But is there a test to see if this forum's s/w can handle my link-string? In practice I don't see the click here until I've posted,-then it's too late to correct, and I may have to "Oops" and re-do.
Might it be a good idea to always use huggy71's TinyURL ? My long link-strings I suspect contained info from my cookies and perhaps register. TinyURL says it cuts out "affiliate links".
If that works I wonder why PCA software in the forum doesn't do that as routine, or is it unreliable?

hugh-265156 14:55 19 Jan 04

i usually only use tinyurl or shorterlink if the address fills up the entire length my address bar or more,or if im posting a link from deep within a website.you can use them all the time if you so wish they will make short links even shorter still.as Jester2K says they are also handy for MSkb links.

to test the short link and see if it works i just open another window and paste into the address bar and click go.

Wilham 15:34 19 Jan 04

Your replies are sensible and helpful. I'll close the thread; thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…