Click and drag no longer working in Desktop

paul_allard 16:02 04 Sep 08

All of a sudden, I can no longer click and drag items off my desktop into the Recycle Bin (for instance). I'm using XP Home. Is this a result of SP3 download ? Any ideas how to fix this ?

Technotiger 16:08 04 Sep 08

Try a simple re-start, if this does not fix it try a System Restore back to the nearest possible date from today.

rawprawn 16:10 04 Sep 08

You may have to add a registry entry to re-enable this functionality. I just upgraded to SP3 and found using "Process Monitor" that an Internet zone policy was being checked in the registry that doesn't exist. No entry, no policy, so no authorization to drag/drop.

In regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Internet Settings/Zones/4.

If there isn't an entry named 180D, then create a new DWORD entry named 180D and set the value to 0.

GaT7 16:14 04 Sep 08

System restore may take out SP3, so if restart doesn't work, try click here & click here (<---easier than manually editing the registry). G

rawprawn 16:16 04 Sep 08

Follow the links from Crossbow7, after reading the "Solution" carefully I'm not sure it will work for you.

birdface 17:03 04 Sep 08

Try right clicking taskbar.properties.Start menu,Customize.Advanced. and make sure enable dragging and dropping is dotted.Ok.Apply.Ok.

paul_allard 16:43 05 Sep 08

Tried the easier solutions : System restore and checking that dragging and dropping was dotted : no change in result. Trying crossbow's solutions next.

birdface 17:38 05 Sep 08

Try right clicking my computer.properties.Advanced.settings.Show windows content while dragging.make sure it is dotted.Apply.Ok

paul_allard 18:37 05 Sep 08

I've tried that - it is dotted but still no drag and drop. Have now tried crossbow's first solution but without success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…