Clearing Temporary Files & Cookies

johnoo 22:31 03 Jul 09

Is it best on regular occations to clear down Cookies and temporary internet files?
By doing this does it aid the speed of processing?
Are there any other benifits or drawbacks?

gazzaho 22:51 03 Jul 09

I use CCleaner to remove any such files, for example I have just ran it and it cleared nearly two GB of unwanted files from my system. On my hard disk this may not be a problem as it's 750GB and relatively empty but on a smaller hard disk with not a lot of room the extra space it freed up may be invaluable to the stable running of the OS. It also has a non aggressive registry cleaner that will keep your registry in shape.

Windows need a certain amount of free drive space in order to run properly, fill your C: drive up and it will tie itself in knots and complain repeatedly, so keeping unnecessary file at a minimum is preferred. A clean registry is not as important in my opinion, cleaning my shave a few Milli seconds of boot up times but you have to be wary when using one, always make backups before cleaning the registry.

gazzaho 22:54 03 Jul 09

I forgot to include the link to it click here it's free so give it a try.

NickyK 01:33 04 Jul 09

I also use ccleaner. It is an excellent little utility. Fast and efficient.

Most good browsers nowadays have a clean-up facility anyway, so you can delete your search history and cookies etc. I stick with Firefox for that. Click on tools and it should be fairly obvious what to do next. Just make sure you don't delete passwords if you wish to retain those!

I also use Windows Washer which seems to remove what ccleaner misses. It is pay-for, so I can't really say if it is worth the money because I got it for free.

If you are looking to destroy confidential files such as business letters, then I tend to use Media Wipe which can be set to beyond NSA recoverability. Well, so they claim.

Media Wipe was on a PC Advisor DVD with the magazine a while ago, so it might be found using downloads or Google it. I think the provider is Greenstreet, but this has to be at your own risk.
Basically, use a good browser, use their clean up facilities and use ccleaner and, unless you are writing very private business letters, you should be reasonably okay.

NickyK 01:41 04 Jul 09

As for using such facilities. Well, it depends on where you go and how paranoid you are!

Gazzaho has explained this most excellently.

Again, basically, it depends on you. In my experience, I find it helpful to run ccleaner after any internet session, even if I have been to nothing more sinister than the BBC! CC deletes all the nonsense such as silly cookies etc and leaves the OS clean and free or unwanted rubbish. I have never read anywhere that it tires out a hard drive.

peter99co 11:04 04 Jul 09

has a safety tab which gives a drop down to Delete Browsing History

dogbreath1 14:48 04 Jul 09

CCleaner will allow you to retain specified cookies which is my preference to a blanket clear out.

johnoo 15:09 04 Jul 09

I have not downloaded CC Cleaner yet, but I intend to do so.
However how do you establish which "Cookies" you wish to retain?

Stuartli 16:42 04 Jul 09

Full rundown on IE configuration:

click here

Well worth reading carefully.

gazzaho 17:03 04 Jul 09

CCleaner has an area under options to add cookies you want to keep, there's also an area for including or excluding files for deletion.

rdave13 17:26 04 Jul 09

Ccleaner is a good application. Used it for years. Unfortunately it only cleans temps etc. on the user that's logged in. I've now removed it and returned to ATF, Cleanup! and RegscrubVistaXp.
As I've a few other admin accounts on my PC I need to clean all users temps.and cookies etc. so as not to clutter the computer.
I prefer not to have any passwords or form filling saved to the PC permanently as a bit paranoid.
ATF; click here

Cleanup!; click here

RegscrubVistaXp; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…