Clearing the 'Page File' on XP shutdown

CurlyWhirly 17:18 16 Nov 04

I have 1 Gb of RAM and I came across an article on the internet earler on today which lets you clear the Page File (i.e. virtual memory) on shutdown of XP.

If you want to clear the page file on each shutdown:

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Set the value to 1

Does anyone know what the advantages or disadvantages of doing this are?
As I have a lot of RAM I hardly ever use the page file except in the 'paged' section of Kernel Memory in WTM (Windows Task Manager) which is essential to the running of the operating system.
Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!

CurlyWhirly 17:20 16 Nov 04

p.s. The page file is currently set at a 'fixed' size of 512 mb.

CurlyWhirly 20:37 16 Nov 04

dagwoood 22:40 16 Nov 04

CurlyWhirly, the clear the page file option is mainly for pc's that are used by different users( a working enviroment).

It's possible for a system administrator to use a pc for doing "sensitive"/private tasks and then log off that machine, then at a later date someone could log on and access data that's been paged out to the page file.

For the average user on a home system, there's no need to clear the page file as there's no security issues.

HTH, dagwoood.

CurlyWhirly 06:08 17 Nov 04

Thank you very much for the info.
I will leave this registry option alone then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…