Clearing out the rubbish

geoff47 01:28 23 Dec 05

When defragging I find I have only 28% space left.
And was wondering what I can clear out to improve this.
I have a lot of Image files, Music files (my daughter) and also lots of apparently redundant icons in my downloaded folder, these being updates or set ups for programs I am using.
Can I safe delete these set up progams, or are they needed for the programs to run? some are updates,and some are not easily recognisable as the programs by their icons.
And how about back up files that litter the place when you use some of these clean up utilities?

I know its not spring, I just need to have a clean out.
Many thanks Geoff47

jakimo 02:00 23 Dec 05

These are free,and work ok for me

click here

click here

geoff47 02:56 23 Dec 05

and run them regularly jakimo.
I was thinking of the clutter I have picked up in my download folder, for example duplicate Firefox setups plus updates, Zone Alarm setup, exe. files I think they call them that actually install the program.Are they, or at least the earlier versions needed on my PC, or can I safely delete them?
And when working with Images you,or at least I, tend to get copies littering up the place, are they worth deleting? size wise?
Geoff47

Chegs ®™ 03:33 23 Dec 05

If they are older install files,then delete them only hanging onto newest versions.If you have MS Anti-Spyware,check its files as this is supposedly a major hog of HD space(not on my PC,just a postee had same prob and it turned out this single app had claimed Gbs of HD space)System Restore's another hog,turn off then back on to clear old restore points.

handful 08:05 23 Dec 05

geoff47 - As well as CCleaner which only clears one user account, use Clean Up click here as this clears all the rubbish out of all user accounts. If your daughter is anything like mine it will make a huge difference!

Wak 11:16 23 Dec 05

Why not put the Image files and Music files on to CDs????

geoff47 16:40 23 Dec 05

Perhaps I haven't explained clearly enough.
As Chegs answered the real nitty gritty question, I can delete the various Exe.files for programs already installed, leaving the latest versions.
And such a brilliant yet simple solution, to store Image/music files on CDs Wak,thanks.
I have a vast collection of downloaded programs that I have uninstalled the program for, or dont recognise what they belong to,and the Clean Up utilities dont even look at them, why should they, but they must use up space.
I will begin deleting them slowly, and see what happens.
Thanks all.
Geoff47

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 23 Dec 05

have a vast collection of downloaded programs that I have uninstalled the program for, or dont recognise what they belong to,and the Clean Up utilities dont even look at them, why should they, but they must use up space.
I will begin deleting them slowly, and see what happens.
Thanks all.

Burn these to a CD aswell before deleteing from HDD

geoff47 02:13 24 Dec 05

but so obvious.....thanks.
Only wish I had thought along them lines before I posted my question.
Many thanks.
Geoff47

geoff47 03:37 24 Dec 05

I began the deleting of "unnecessary" files on my PC and tried to see if it was having any affect.
My method of finding out the empty space on my HD is to run Diskeeper Lite, it tells you what percentage is free.

I had erased it already.

So take heed of the need to go slowly and back up everything on a removeable disc.....no problem for me because I downloaded it again......a one percent gain, after a short pruneing session.
I will take the good advice given above, before I continue along that path.

Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…