Clearing my hard drive

Dozy 20:59 15 Aug 04

Hi
I am sure this topic will have been covered in the magazine at some point and if so could you please let me know which edition. However this is my request. I am hoping to purchase a new computer and wish to hand my old computer on to my daughter but want to clear it of my junk before passing it on. I can uninstall the software but I am not sure how to clear out the hard drive. I have a Quick Restore disk which I was able to use after it crashed once and that gave me all the original basic Windows 98 S.E. settings. The thing is that is how I would like to hand it over to her so she could have a clean slate for her stuff so please can you advise me how I go about it. Many thanks in anticipation.
Dozy

cga 21:05 15 Aug 04

If you are not worried about security wiping then the easy way is to create a Boot diskette containing the format program. Boot from that and do a 'format c:'. Repeat for any other logical drives.

There are quicker utilities out there and those that claim to indellibly erase the data but this should do the job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…