Clearing HDD - can I delete old XP updates

Rusty 15:25 07 Jul 06

I have such a lot of rubbish on my HDD that my 1.8GHz computer takes about 10-15 munutes to boot-up!!
I think I read in PCA once that old XP updates can come off via "Add or remove programs"
Can I delete these old XP updates for a start? They run from 30/03/o5 to date.

VoG II 15:29 07 Jul 06

Don't remove from add/remove programs - that will remove rthe updates!

You can remove the backup files click here

See what is loading at startup and disable what you don't need click here and see click here

Defragment your drive click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:31 07 Jul 06

click here will remove them. Tick the options in advanced section.

G

rezeeg 15:42 07 Jul 06

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> - removed 274mb. Always been wary of using 'Advanced'.

Thanks for asking the question Rusty.

GroupFC 16:08 07 Jul 06

Ditto!

Strawballs 16:13 07 Jul 06

I'm with VoG™ on this one, what is in your start up routine and is running in the background all the time needlessly.

woodchip 16:19 07 Jul 06

It will not make your computer start faster. You need to go into Start\Run type MSCONFIG and then go to Startup Tab Remove as many ticks from boxes that youe system will allow. If you need them after Start in Safe mode if it will not start and put the tick back that Windows complains about

Strawballs 16:31 07 Jul 06

You can run XP with nothing ticked (unlike 98 where you had to have systray) but you should leave your antivirus and any real time antispyware like spyware blaster and any things like keyboards with extra features, but the rest remove from start up. A favourite one is MS Office that one loves top put itself in the start up, but it only needs to be running when you want to use it not all of the time.

scotmax 00:54 08 Jul 06

Thanks for that info GANDALF <|:-)> have always left "Advanced" strictly alone.

Thanks for the question Rusty.

Tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…