clearing the golden finger

caro456 19:35 09 Feb 07

I have some instructions from ASRock which tell me to clear the golden fingers of the graphics card and the memory. What is the best way to do this - just wipe with a lint free cloth?

woodchip 19:42 09 Feb 07

Switch cleaner from Maplin Electronics

caro456 19:55 09 Feb 07

Thanks woodchip - will pop out and get some as soon as snow clears!

Weskit 20:16 09 Feb 07

What's the point of doing this? Also, isn't there a danger of damage from static?

woodchip 20:20 09 Feb 07

no. Best way to use it is spray it in slots, then push in and out twice with cards while wet

Weskit 15:33 10 Feb 07

Noted, but why should one need to do this?

woodchip 22:33 10 Feb 07

The connections get dirty tarnished, bad Connections. It’s not quite as bad if the Socket and Fingers are of the same metal, Of which they should be. Not one Tin and other Gold

Arnie 10:12 11 Feb 07

if the Socket and Fingers are of the same metal, Of which they should be. Not one Tin and other Gold".

You are so right woodchip.
It makes me laugh when I see manufactures producing virtually every lead imaginable with gold plated materials. Scart lead for example.
How many television sets are produced with gold plated Scart sockets?
Unless the materials in contact with each other are gold plated, electrolytic action can occur.

This phenomenon is known in many other situations:
Welding, using different materials to that of the host metal.

Plumbing, using brass and copper together.
Overtime, the zinc can leach from the brass causing porosity within it.
There are many other examples one could no doubt bring to mind.

Dizzy Bob 10:45 11 Feb 07

Isn't the Gold Finger what the FE uses to click the Silver Mouse?

DB

woodchip 20:25 11 Feb 07

No it's him with the Eject button

Legolas 21:24 11 Feb 07

caro456 I'm glad you got this sorted and I think the title of your thread is one of the best I have seen it was a must look ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…