clearing computer

0000jb0000 18:52 31 Jul 04

I want to pass my old computer on to a family member, so how do I clear it of all my delicate details. It's running on windows 98 I dont have the cd rom for win98 so I cant format c, because I think that gets rid of everything including the os, am I right?

woodchip 19:01 31 Jul 04

Yes. So you can only go through Add Remove in Control Panel. then any programs that will not go, or you want to make sure most of the dros as gone follow bellow and put the name you want to remove where the XXXXXX is SO PRINT THIS OFF AND FOLLOW IT.

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box XXXXXX click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with XXXXXX in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type XXXXXX and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than XXXXXX then reboot your computer

Pesala 19:02 31 Jul 04

Eraser (2,746K) click here Prevents recovery of deleted files.

bremner 19:19 31 Jul 04

You understand there is delete - as described by woodchip - which does not actually remove the data.

...and delete beyond recovery which can only be acheived using a preparatory program, such as the one described by Pesala.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…