Clear Temporary Internet files from the hard drive

airbornenot 12:55 30 Jul 03

After clearing the Temporary Internet files cache, History, Favourites, re-cycle bin and anywhere else that temporary internet files might lurk, by going to "Start", "Find", "Files or Folders" and searching for file names such as "JP" on my hard drive, a list of over 10,000 JPEG files is found. Over 3/4 of these are temporary internet files going back to when I first accessed the internet. I can delete them individually, but not all in one go as required files would be deleted as well.
Why are these on my hard drive and how do I get rid of all this clutter? W98, IE6.
Al Painter.

The Transporter 13:01 30 Jul 03

Go and buy this months PC Extreme or similar mag. It has got CyberScrub 3 full on the cover cd. That will sort you out no worries.

BriR 13:38 30 Jul 03

I dont know if I do the right thing but after trying various cleaning methods I settled on using 'Spybot Search & Destroy' to get rid of any spyware and 'Clean it' to get rid of temp internet files cache, trail etc. Both are free to download and are easy to use. I think this is a belt & braces approach unless someone can tell me different!

BriR 13:57 30 Jul 03

Sorry......I should have said 'CleanUp' and not 'Clean it'

Also I just ran a 'JP' search as you described and didnt find any offending files or JPegs on my system

Jester2K II 14:14 30 Jul 03

Not quite sure what you are trying to do by searching for file with JP in them!

Best way to get rid of clutter is to right click the C Drive in Explorer and select Disk Clean Up. It'll then present you with options.

Clean Up programs can be good but sometimes over zealous. I prefer and paid for Supercleaner click here (30 free trial)

Why are the files there, you ask?? Some will form part of your internet history, some part of programs you have installed etc

If you really want to do a clean up use Windows built in Disk Clean Up tell us what you want to clean up and we can give instructions for each stage.

Jester2K II 14:16 30 Jul 03

To clear the temporary internet files, just go to Tools menu, Internet Options and on the General Tab hit Delete Files in the middle.

airbornenot 14:55 30 Jul 03

Thanks for all the prompt responses.
Jester, I was looking for a folder from Outlook Express to do with a "JP" aircraft that I have an interest in (Jet Provost). Why I was looking is a whole new ball game!
This brought up all the JPEG files sitting on my hard drive. Many of them are temporary internet files which are not in the temporary internet cache. They date from when I first started looking on the web for info and pictures to do with lectures that I give.I can delete them individually, but not all together as the only way I can find to do this is to "select all" and then "Delete" which would delete a few hundred other files as well. Basically I need a way to isolate temporary internet files, which apparently are randomly on my hard drive, so that they can be removed. I have tried Red V History Protector and Super Cleaner, but neither of them seem to wash the hard drive in the required way. I have heard that these things are dumped on to the hard drive when I.E.crashes, but there seem to be more than I would have expected from this source.

Jester2K II 16:15 30 Jul 03

When you find all the temporary internet files you sort the files by type by clicking on the titles above each column in the search results. Click once on Filename to sort by filename and again to reverse the order.

Selective deletes can be achieved using the SHIFT and CTRL keys.

To select a block of files click on the first one and then hold down SHIFT key and click on the last one. All files in between will be selected.

To select files from a list click on the first one and then holding down CTRL click on each file you want to add. Click again to unselect a file. This allows you to selectively highlight files for deletion.

You can also use these techniques in reverse!! ie Select All then use the CTRL to unselect the few files you want to keep. Delete those that remain highlighted.

Maybe the best way to approach this is go through each folder containing Internet Temp Files and sort them out rather than scanning the either disk and doing it that way.

Or copy the work you want to keep to a new folder and then just delete the extra folders after.

I hope i'm understanding the problem.

Stuartli 16:42 30 Jul 03

If you go to IE's Tools>Advanced tab and then scroll almost to the bottom, ensure that the "Empty Temporary Internet Files when Browser Is Closed" box is ticked.

Next time you bootup you will see a notice stating that Temporary Files are being deleted.

airbornenot 17:20 30 Jul 03

Jester, many thanks for your patience, but I don`t think that I can have explained very well.
Assume that I have taken all normal steps to remove temporary internet files. Now from the desktop, I select "Start", "Find" and up comes the search box. I select "Look in" and insert "My computer". I select "Named" and insert "JP" (for reasons already given). What now happens is that one extremely long list appears. Most of the list is comprised of files ending in JPEG (but not all) and most of these are listed as Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files. All that happens if I click on a file is that it comes up on screen. If I hold down the mouse key, with or without holding shift or ctrl, I just move the file, as you would if you held the mouse key down over an icon on the desk top. It does not select the files as it would in WORD say. I have tried different searches, such as "Temporary internet Files" and "JPEG", but this list only seems to come up when I search for "JP". The list goes way back to 1999. I do all the normal things to keep my computer clean, but this lot seems to be just about everything I have looked at on the net and quite a few things that I cannot remember looking for as well. I have not been able to find a way of separating out the temp. files or bring them up somewhere else.

Jester2K II 17:27 30 Jul 03

I didn't say to hold down the mouse key! I said...

To select a block of files CLICK on the first one and then hold down SHIFT key and CLICK on the last one. All files in between will be selected.

To select files from a list CLICK on the first one and then holding down CTRL CLICK on each file you want to add. CLICK again to unselect a file. This allows you to selectively highlight files for deletion.

So you click once (not hold down)on the first file and then only click once on the other files. You don't need to drag the mouse down. Just click the mouse once on a file and let go to highlight it.

I understand whats wrong but your also not helping by using the search to find these files. Make a list of the locations (directories or folders) these unwanted files are in and go directly to those locations using Windows Explorer and not the search. That way you'll only see the temp files and not your work JP files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…