clear hard drive

sully21 22:07 25 Oct 04

does anyone know of a programme that will completely wipe my hard drive clean. i mean not leave a trace of what was on it before.

johnpr 22:11 25 Oct 04

Why not re-format it?

bremner 22:17 25 Oct 04

Formatting does not remove the data.

stalion 22:24 25 Oct 04
  kspatto 22:56 25 Oct 04

you need to overwrite the old files look for security downloads that overwrite the free space on your hard drive after you have done a reinstal of your operating system (that way there will only be the operating system visible as legit files)you could just shred the sensitive info by selecting the relevant files and dropping into a file shredder(click here) or remove all of your junk and doing a defrag this jumbles up the file allocations and will overwrite most of the files you dont want recovered

if you search the web there are plenty of tools to do this and many are free

patto

ashdav 01:03 26 Oct 04

use the free version from here. It'll erase your hard drive sufficiently to reinstall with no problems. I've used it several times. Download to a floppy then boot from itclick here.

ashdav 01:04 26 Oct 04

use the free version from here. It'll erase your hard drive sufficiently to reinstall with no problems. I've used it several times. Download to a floppy then boot from it click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…