Clear all data from my windows 7 hp laptop

Daiol 21:47 23 Sep 14
Answered

Good day to all. I have a HP compaq laptop running windows 7,I have gone and bought a new Acer windows 8.1 laptop. Now my issue is what is the best option to do with the old HP laptop,Either sell it or find another solution of making some other use from it. Well about the selling part,What would be the best way to make sure that all my data is removed from the hdd. Is there a simple method that one can do and then restart the pc and it's up and running as a new one with only the windows left to use. Or any other options that maybe that I can use this for another use?,A pal suggested converting it to use on another operating system.Well it was a thought but I'm not very technically experienced on doing that. Would anyone please pass on some advice on this matter. I would be very glad of some help. Many Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:01 23 Sep 14

Back to factory settings

install CCleaner

Tools - wipes free space on the C: drive wipe all of any other partitions you may have.

This will stop and recovery tools from finding data after the formatting done during factory reset.

1]: [click here

Aitchbee 23:04 23 Sep 14
Answer

If you are able to restore your laptop 'back to factory settings' [ as suggested by Jock1e ] then I would install CCleaner ASAP on to your restored laptop and then run CCleaner - click on Tools - Drive Wiper - Select 'Wipe Free Space ONLY' and then choose Very Complex Overwrite 35 times.

This should erase all traces of your data from your hard drive.

PS. Make sure you are only wiping the free space and NOT the entire contents of your hard drive!

Daiol 21:12 24 Sep 14

Thanks all Will have to think on the options. many Thanks.

bumpkin 21:37 24 Sep 14

FruitBat and Aitcbee, is wiping the same as over writing?

bumpkin 21:39 24 Sep 14

with zeros not other data.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:42 24 Sep 14

yes

bumpkin 22:13 24 Sep 14

Thanks for clarifying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…