'cleaning' the registry

mogwai 11:54 17 Aug 03

I am trying a registry cleaning program on a trial basis. It is the first time I have used one just want to check programs of this type are safe to use? It creates a backup for me before I 'clean' so this should make it safe, it has found over 400 registry entries that can be cleaned, this seems alot to me but the PC is about 4 yrs old?!? Just want to check that this program wont harm my PC, the program is Registry First Aid

JIM 12:12 17 Aug 03

After 4 yrs the high number of entries is no suprise and as long as you have a back up ,see no problems.

If you do encounter problems make sure you understand how to retrieve from backup.

Chris the Ancient 12:14 17 Aug 03

Anything that goes probing into, and messing with, the registry is inherently dangerous and catastrophic! So much damage can be caused.

Personally, I would make a PROPER back up of the registry before playing with a Reistry Cleaner. I used such a cleaner - once. Thank goodness I did do a proper back up first because this supposedly neat little program wrecked a lot of stuff.

If it ain't broke, why bother fixing it?

Chris

mogwai 12:30 17 Aug 03

ok i guess ill leave it for now, does a registry full of obselete entries really slow down the PC that much anyway?

powerless 15:31 17 Aug 03

4 Years old.

Without a format and reinstall along the way?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…