Cleaning the PREFETCH FOLDER

provider 2 12:11 23 Dec 06

I was led to believe that cleaning the prefetch folder would speed up my PC. This site claims it could have the opposite effect.Any comments?
click here

VoG II 12:17 23 Dec 06

Another view click here

provider 2 12:20 23 Dec 06

And another?click here

brundle 13:11 23 Dec 06

From "click here"

How does this scheme provide a performance benefit? The answer lies in the fact that during typical system boot or application startup, the order of faults is such that some pages are brought in from one part of a file, then from another part of the same file, then pages are read from a different file, then perhaps from a directory, and so on. This jumping around results in moving the heads around on the disk. Microsoft has learned through analysis that this slows boot and application startup times. By prefetching data from a file or directory all at once before accessing another one, this scattered seeking for data on the disk is greatly reduced or eliminated, thus improving the overall time for system and application startup.

provider 2 15:00 23 Dec 06

Pretty definitive stuff, brundle. More harm than good can come from this "optimisation". I think I had better steer well clear of this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…