Cleaning the paste off my CPU.

Mev 17:37 13 May 04

I need to clean the thermal paste off my Athlon CPU. I have read several posts on the board on the best methods for doing this. Apparently i need to use a certain type of cleaner for this, 99% Isopropanol. Can i pick this up from a shop? I know they don't sell it at PC World. Can anyone suggest any shops in the UK where i can get this stuff from?

Mev 17:56 13 May 04

....or anything that will do the job?

TomJerry 18:00 13 May 04

Akasa CPU & Heatsink Cleaner £5.58 click here

You can be themal paste from there as well.

Diemmess 18:06 13 May 04

You only need to clear the excess, a smear is essential to give rapid heat transfer.

If you really want to start from scratch then almost any chemist (called pharmacy these days) will sell what you want.

I had to buy 500ml recently and can't remember what I paid, probably £3.50 or so, and too much anyway. it is a first class cleaner for many surfaces, mainly because it is safe on most plastics, and is the base for the really expensive spectacle cleaner from an optician.

€dstowe 18:13 13 May 04

Petrol - the grade used for refilling cigarette lighters is clean and leaves no residues.

Works well for cleaning thermal transfer paste from CPUs and heatsinks.

€d

Rayuk 18:14 13 May 04

Or if youre a cheapskate like me use nail varnish remover.

Mev 18:36 13 May 04

Lighter fluid? Like i put in my Zippo lighter?

€dstowe 18:41 13 May 04

The stuff I know is called Ronsonol. Make sure it's not lighter gas.

€dstowe 18:43 13 May 04

N.B. nail varnish remover isn't particularly cheap neither is it free from containing residues. there is usually an oily component which remains behind as an oily film - not very much but it is there.

Mev 19:51 13 May 04

Ok, thanks guys.

Dan the Confused 20:04 13 May 04

It's tape head cleaner I think. If I run out of it vodka makes a good substitute.

!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…