Cleaning My computer

smeghead103 21:18 23 Feb 03

If I want to totally clean up my computer, taking it back to it's basic how can I ensue I do not delete anything that is crucial to the running of my computer, baring in mind I do not have the start up discs. I already get an error when I boot the computer telling me one of the components are missing, but I do not have the discs to replace it. If you could solve this conundrum that has plagued me since I started on these things I would be truly grateful.

Djohn 21:58 23 Feb 03

smeghead103, thank you for your e-mail, sorry for the delay in replying to you, but I have been busy today. This is the best place for help though as many more people will see it and there are some far more knowledgeable people here than my self.

What exactly is the error message you get on bootup? You may be able to download a driver or fix from the internet.

Is it win 98se that you are using? post back with more details, also if you are on 98, then press Ctrl/alt/delete keys together and see how many programs you have running in the background.

Have you emptied your temp. files recently and also cleared out your Temporary internet file folder.

In the sys.tray, lower right of screen, where the clock is, how many Icons do you have in there? That should keep you going for a while, post back with answers to these questions, and I will see if I can advise further.

xoc 22:21 23 Feb 03

Try System Mechanic at this site."click here"
It's an evaluation program but worth trying.

smeghead103 22:33 23 Feb 03

Hi troops.
OK DJohn the message I recieve when i try to log on

Can't find device file....to run windows registary or SYSTEM.INI...no longer exists.
vserver.vxd

I'm running W98.

It seems to stay on 0% when trying to defragment (I have scan disc and defragmenter in my secedual

I have incredimail (when i open it). MSN icon volume and task scedular in my sys. tray

Djohn 22:56 23 Feb 03

OK, not sure about the first one, but someone will have the answer.

Regards defrag, use the Ctrl/alt/delete as above and close down all programs except Explorer and sys.tray. then do a defrag, it will fly through, well it will get through anyway.

As for your sys. tray that seems OK. let me know how many progs. are showing when you press the above keys, don't bother with all the names for now just how many!

Andÿ 03:49 24 Feb 03

If you receive an error specifying that the Windows registry or System.ini file refers to a device that no longer exists, it may be because the Dial-Up Networking files are not copied to the hard disk, but the file names are added to the Windows registry.

This can occur if you install Dial-Up Networking, Dial-Up Adapter, or Virtual Private Networking and then cancel Setup while the Copying Files dialog box is displayed. The Dial-Up Networking files are not copied to the hard disk but the file names are added to the WIndows registry. When the computer is restarted, the files cannot be found.

If this is the case then you can resolve the error by reinstalling Communications.

How to reinstall Communications

Write down any Phone Numbers and/or network settings that are used by Dial-Up Networking or a Local Area Network (LAN) connection.

Double-click the My Computer icon

Double-click the Control Panel icon.

Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.

Click on the Windows Setup tab.

Uncheck the box next to Communications click here

Click the OK button.

Click the Yes button to restart your computer.

Wait for the computer to restart before continuing to the next step.

Double-click the My Computer icon

Double-click the Control Panel icon.

Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.

Click on the Windows Setup tab.

Check the box next to Communications.

Click the OK button.

You may be prompted to insert your Windows 95/98/ME CD-ROM.

Click the Yes button to restart your computer.

Andÿ 03:57 24 Feb 03

Vserver.vxd File Not Found When You Start Your Computer:

The Vserver.vxd file is missing or damaged in the Windows\System folder.

The DeviceVxds value with a value data of Vserver.vxd is missing or damaged in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\ NetService\0000

RESOLUTION click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…