Cleaning Inside Desktop box - How??

AngeTheHippy 08:23 14 Apr 06

Morning Chaps,
I think it about time I sprused up my desktopbox. Noticed the other day (floppydisc obsolete now..)floppy drive entrance to be caked in dust. I am assuming then, that the insides of the box are in the same (or worse!!)condition. Could this be the reason that, if I click eg. **start** or bring up the hidden icions on the taskbar at the bottom, for just a second or 2 all icons leave desktop then reappear. Seems to be doing this more often and can't think why... Am fully up-to-date with AV and antispyware etc, so don't think it virus attack. Any thoughts please?
Have a good Easter all of you,

AngeTheHippy
xx

AngeTheHippy 10:01 14 Apr 06

Chris-347369 10:02 14 Apr 06

A can of compressed air always helps to blow out the cobwebs

AngeTheHippy 10:15 14 Apr 06

I thought that it **could** make the insides damp - u know, cause condensation?

johnnyrocker 10:17 14 Apr 06

not compressed air afaik

johnny.

AngeTheHippy 10:21 14 Apr 06

johnnyrocker??

Chris-347369 10:25 14 Apr 06

It shouldn't do. If you use it after your pc has been on for some time there should be no chance of the air cooling down enough to turn into water. However sometimes the compressed air cans can be a bit strong so should be kept away from the more delicate parts of the mobo.

However I don't think dust inside the pc would make it run all that much slower. It normally caused problems related to overheating etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 14 Apr 06

"if I click eg. **start** or bring up the hidden icions on the taskbar at the bottom, for just a second or 2 all icons leave desktop then reappear. Seems to be doing this more often and can't think why.."

Will be a software problem rather than Hardware dust is more likely to cause overheating as it blocks fans.

Last few cases I cleaned out was by

1. switch off and unplug
2. used a pain brush to move the dust off the boards
3. used daughter's make up stick thingy to scrape build up carefully from fans.
4. used vacuum cleaner with nozzle well away from boards to suck out the now loose dust.

(nozzle can produce static close to end as air sucked in, so keep reasonably far away from boards

spuds 10:28 14 Apr 06

I generally find a vacuum cleaner, held at distance and not touching any components, plus a small soft bristle paint-bush, doe's the trick.

After the dusting, and before closing the case, check for any loose fixtures and fittings.

AngeTheHippy 10:33 14 Apr 06

Thanks so much for these tips. I think I'll **pass** with the compressed air stuff, and just give it a paint-brush-and-cottonwool-buds-jobby. Will be back (later) and atell ya how it went.

AngeTheHippy
x x x x x x

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…