Cleaning A Hard Drive Disc

Buchan 35 23:46 05 Apr 05

A mate`s computer has crashed and I`ve got a spare
10 gig hdd. It`s got my WinXP Pro on it and his OS
is going to be Win 98. I`d like to wipe it clean as I`ve loads of private stuff there and I want to give him a clean HDD. How do I clean it, Please?

Totally-braindead 23:48 05 Apr 05

Do you know how to format a drive?

DieSse 23:50 05 Apr 05

Reformat with his Win98, this will delete your stuff, and then overwrite the deleted area with his stuff (Win98 and apps) -100% safe in these circumstances.

THE TERMINATOR 01:18 06 Apr 05

Install the drive as slave, on your system and format it through your XP system "with FAT 32", or win98 will not install on it(that's if the drive has been upgraded to NTFS). Then goto click here and get a boot disk. Install the HDD on your mate's pc, boot up with the floppy(this will require going into BIOS and changing the boot sequence)and install win98

TomJerry 05:27 06 Apr 05
  450223 09:37 06 Apr 05

Free download from click here remember to make your CD bootable when you write it!

pauldonovan 10:04 06 Apr 05

...or something like it.

Format doesn't necessarily wipe all the data permanently and tools can be used to recover it unless you write multiple times - there are different levels, up to US Department of Defence standards etc.

DieSse 12:51 06 Apr 05

Format is more than enough in a domestic situation where a new OS is going to be written to the drive anyway. We're not talking national security depatments with special equipment here.

Buchan 35 13:15 06 Apr 05

Thanks everybody, I`ll go with DieSse`s suggestion, it looks the easiest.
No I don`t know how to format, but there are loads of posts on the forum to help. I didn`t realise that was needed. Again thanks for your help

pauldonovan 15:03 06 Apr 05

OK Diesse - put yourself in his shoes. You give your hard drive to a friend after format, the friend sells the PC on later. Bingo, your data is available if someone wants to have a little peek.

If you are happy with that then fine, but given the ease of doing it properly these days please understand the need to make people aware of this when they might otherwise assume a format is sufficient...

DieSse 18:04 06 Apr 05

" Bingo, your data is available if someone wants to have a little peek."

No it isn't, it will have been overwritten by new programs and data.

The danger only occurs if you simply do a format - THEN you can easily recover stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…