cleaning hard drive

Bike-it 22:12 31 Jan 09

I need to completely clean a hard drive on a desktop pc before i reinstall windows xp, what programmes will do this free, after i clean the hard drive is it just a matter of reinstalling windows xp and the computer will run ok.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 31 Jan 09

If your not selling it on then just do a clean install

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

MAJ 22:25 31 Jan 09

If you're selling it on, try Killdisk. click here

MAJ 22:27 31 Jan 09

"is it just a matter of reinstalling windows xp and the computer will run ok."

You'll also need all the drivers for your hardware.

Bike-it 22:58 31 Jan 09

Maj i was thinking that, how would i go about saving the drivers.

MAJ 23:01 31 Jan 09

Drivermax click here is supposed to be able to do that for you, Bike-it, although I've never used it myself.

Sea Urchin 23:06 31 Jan 09

WinDrivers Backup is an excellent program - it will detect all your drivers and save them to wherever you wish. Then on your new installation just re-import them all.

It's the second program down on this page

click here

Bike-it 23:36 31 Jan 09

Thanks all.
So i need to run windrivers back up save all the drivers it finds onto say a cd , burn killdisc onto a cd, run it, clean the hard drive reinstall windows xp reinstall the drivers, is this ok so far? and in the right order

Sea Urchin 13:10 01 Feb 09

Killdisk is only necessary if you wish to obliterate everything on the hard drive when disposing of the PC. As you are re-installing XP you just need to do a clean install as described by Fruit Bat /\0/\ at the beginning of this thread. Apart from that your suggested sequence looks fine.

Bike-it 14:51 01 Feb 09

so i have saved all the system drivers onto a disc so before i run kill disc how do i get the drivers back onto the machine whenever i reistall windows xp.
oh killdisc offers me two options kill hard disc or local disc (c) which do i choose?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant