Cleaning fan

March Wind 02:24 03 Jun 11

I would like to clean my fan inside the PC do I blow the dust off with an hairdryer or do I brush it off?

wee eddie 03:50 03 Jun 11

They all recommend buying one of these £5.00 Cans of Compressed Air.

As a "semi Professional" Scot:~

I use a Hair Drier, set on Cold with the Anti-Static Function turned on, and a 1/2 inch Natural Bristle Paint Brush.

Taff™ 08:52 03 Jun 11

That works to a point with a laptop but in really bad cases the dust collects not on the fan itself but the cooling fins of the heat exchanger next to the fan. Often you can`t see this and if the dust has become built up & compressed it will be much harder to blow out. Dis-assembly is not for the faint hearted!

If it is a tower I`d go the extra mile and take the fan out completely and clean it manually.

gengiscant 08:59 03 Jun 11

If you can remove the fan easily then a fairly vigorous brushing will do the trick. If not the brush will still work with the hoover close to hand to suck up the dust. No need whatsoever for expensive canned air.No need to worry about anti-static either.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:36 03 Jun 11

Daughter's "Vanity Set" gets used for this sort of thing.

Nice small brush to get in the nooks and crannies and that shaped stick thing(whatever its for?) is used to gently scrape the dirt off the fans and out of the fins on the cooler, hair dryery on cool and not too close uesd to blow all the dust out.

Just don't tell her

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac