Cleaning dust from inside pc tower.

dagwoood 19:30 21 Apr 04

I had a processor upgrade about 2 months ago.

In the 2 month period I've had it, I've noticed a 5 degree increase in temperature(both on idle and under load). I was 41 degrees at idle, now it's 46 degrees.

I'm assuming this is just due to a build up of fluff/dust on the cpu heatsink and fan.

I know you don't use a hoover to suck out the dust, but what's a safe way to remove this dust/fluff?

As it's a Athlon xp2400+ cpu I know these sort of temperatures are nothing to worry about, but would just like to keep the temperature as low as possible.

Cheers, dagwoood.

AL D. 19:39 21 Apr 04

there are special aerosols for doing just that,ask at your local pc shop.

Rayuk 19:39 21 Apr 04

Can of Compressed air,or remove fan first and have a look at heatsink fins.
You can always remove it completely and give it an overhaul,although you would then have to clean heatsink and reapply thermal goo

Djohn 19:43 21 Apr 04

On the couple of occasions I've needed to clean out my tower unit I've removed the side panel, laid the tower on it's side so the motherboard is at the bottom then used a selection of soft to firm brushes. [Wrap insulation tape around the metal part of the brush].

Use compressed air to remove the fluff from the CPU heatsink fins, then stand the tower unit back up the correct way and use a plastic nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose to remove all the fluff that is now sitting on the base of the case.

Remember to not only turn off the PC but to unplug from the socket as well. Modern motherboards still have a trickle feed to them even though turned off. This is a good point to remember if your inserting/removing any memory sticks or PCI cards as the board could cause a short if you touch the wrong part while it's live.

Mikè 19:52 21 Apr 04

Are you using the standard amd cooler?
My overclocked (2.13Ghz) xp2400+ is running at 35C idle rising to 46c at 100% usage. This was acheived by spending about £10 to replace the standard amd cooler.

€dstowe 19:58 21 Apr 04

As an extension to Djohns suggestion, use a brush with natural bristles, not nylon or other synthetic fibre.

Nylon is more prone to picking up and generating static and could, just possibly, cause some mischief to the static sensitive components in your machine - of which there are loads!!

€d

Djohn 20:36 21 Apr 04

Good point €d, I forgot to mention that. :o(

jimmer409® 20:40 21 Apr 04

please explain, why not use a vacuum with a plastic wand??

NGE 21:38 21 Apr 04

jimmer409, a hoover is exactly what i use ;). Lay it on its side with panel off and hoover it away. Gets rid of most of the dust and then use some cotton buds to clean out the fans.

Djohn 21:45 21 Apr 04

Thats fine as I explain in my post above but just for removing all the fluff and dust that you have dislodged and is now on the base of the case.

The only problem with using a vacuum cleaner is the power of suction and the plastic nozzle itself may move or even damage some of the extremely delicate parts on the board. By all means use as you suggest but with care. j.

Djohn 21:47 21 Apr 04

I have one of the "Henry" cleaners and the suction is so strong it would probably suck the board out of the case and gobble it up before I could turn it off! ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…