Clean XP install but ... why corrupt registry?

Charlie Babbage 16:09 20 May 06

I've just done a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP2 for a friend but, immediately after doing so I started getting MSN Messenger type messages alleging that the registry was corrupt and directing me to a website such as click here which claims to fix the problem for $39.95. There were also other similar type messages directing me to different websites.

I can't understand how these messages are getting through as I've installed Blueyonder PC Guard which is meant to have all the 'bells and whistles' such as firewall, anti virus and pop up blocker.

Any advice as to what to do about these messages and how to prevent them in future would be appreciated. Should the messages just be ignored or could there be something wrong with the installation?

Chris-347369 16:10 20 May 06

Right click My Computer and click manage

Go to services and applications, then services

Find the entry for Messenger and see if it says "Started"

If it is, right click, press stop, change the drop down box to disabled and then click ok

Chris-347369 16:14 20 May 06

I hit post response before I actually explained what they were!

I think what you're describing are Spam messages that are getting onto the computer using the Messenger service. They can just be ignored.

VoG II 16:15 20 May 06

Or turm off Messenger Service click here

Charlie Babbage 16:20 20 May 06

... I'm not at the problem machine at present so I'll have to check. I just found a thread that describes the problem click here but, again,it recommends turning off Messenger.

It is a little different to describe the message being received. It is in a recantangular box that appears in the midle of the desktop. It does not provide a direct link to the website mentioned - just gives the URL. You can get rid of the message by clicking the close button but I would prefer not to receive it at all!

VoG II 16:21 20 May 06

Messenger Service is installed by default. Turn it off manually click here or use click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…