Clean XP install

syslater 15:00 09 Oct 05

Hi, I've just done a clean install of XP on a 3+ yr old Compaq EX 1GHz machine, 384Mb RAM. Everyhting seems to be OK, although on 1st & subsequent reboots, it goes into to DOS mode and asks me to select either of 2 options.

1. Windows XP Home Edition or
2. Windows

2 doesn't do anything and 1 goes in to XP, but shouldn't it just go straight in to the XP login screen? Any help would be trully appreciated.

VoG II 15:06 09 Oct 05
  martjc 15:15 09 Oct 05

...What you are getting is the Windows boot loader, which seems to think there is another version present. Sometimes this happens when your first attempt to install fails. Some files are left which represent the failed installation, but the boot loader is not that clever and thinks itshould offer you the option. This is not really detrimental to the safe running of the system as long as the working version is always chosen at startup. I would tend to ask MS support if it bothers you, but they will probably recommend a clean re-installation after reformatting the disk! I don't think you want to do that, do you?

syslater 15:26 09 Oct 05

Thanks VOG, I will try info from link!!

martjc.....there was WinME loaded previously, but did clean install of XP, which also formatted HDD to NTFS too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…