clean windows install issues

noobtype 11:52 03 Aug 09

When attempting to set a partition in which to install, i get the message:

"Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installing"

I thought that vista didnt need the drivers for the sata raid, but i get this message so i manaully loaded the drivers using a floppy, cd and usb, all of which failed. the drivers are on the manufacturers disk. I have done this before with no problems. Could it be a hard drive issue? My system uses an ASUS P5NSLI, nForce 605i SLI Motherboard.

any ideas?

GaT7 12:31 03 Aug 09

It could very well be hard drive problem.

Connect it to a working system if you can & check for errors. Right-click the drive > select Properties > Tools > Click 'Check now...' under Error-checking, put a tick in both boxes & click on 'Start'.

Also use a 3rd-party tool like HD Tune click here (the free version) to check for & view any bad sectors. Do NOT opt for a Quick Scan when running the error scan. G

noobtype 13:09 03 Aug 09

I havent got another desktop to try it on unfortunatly. The reason I am doing this is that the PC crashed and then informed me it had no operating system. It's been crashing quite a lot recently, but only when playing games. Again, it never used to do this.

I have two hard disks fitted, 500gb each. Could I try to install on the other one, and if so how can I change as during windows installation only disk 1 appears as an option.

GaT7 13:19 03 Aug 09

It's strange that only one hard drive is showing as an option.

Yes, you could try the other hard drive - just connect the one drive. If it doesn't work, try the other on its own.

If you have a laptop & an external USB hard disk caddy, you could connect it to the laptop & test them out one at a time. G

noobtype 13:22 03 Aug 09

I do have a laptop and a stand alone external hard drive. Not sure what you mean by caddy?

GaT7 13:33 03 Aug 09

Sorry, also referred to as an enclosure, e.g. click here.

Is your standalone extn hard drive SATA-based, & is it possible to install the 3.5" 500Gb drives in them to test? G

GaT7 13:34 03 Aug 09

"...& is it possible to install the 3.5" 500Gb drives in it [the enclosure] to test? G

noobtype 13:51 03 Aug 09

im not sure, (at work now) i know it's 260gb. ive never opened it up though, and all my data is backed up there so not too keen on monkeying with it, especiually as ive lost it all on the PC now.

I'm not 100% sure i have been loading the right drivers. Theres many on the disk and i'm not sure which is for the raid. There are Nforce, jmicron, and controller drivers. I deleted the partition, made new one and formatted many times trying all the drivers to no avail.

GaT7 14:13 03 Aug 09

Yes, it's probably wise not to mess with it then. So you'll need to get a standalone enclosure or HDD docking station, e.g. click here. Or, save yourself the cash & test them in a friend's PC if possible.

As you said in your 1st post, one doesn't normally need to load any SATA/RAID drivers with newer motherboards/OSes. I find the same with XP too, unless it's an old(ish) motherboard. G

noobtype 14:50 03 Aug 09

Yep think i will invest in one of these, seeing as at the moment i have an obsolete 800 quid computer. I looked on the web about this error message and theres a lot of stuff about it, all different and pretty complex.

cheers

noobtype 20:04 03 Aug 09

By the way I just unplugged one of the sata's and tried again and it didn't find any disk at all. If that one is kaput, how can i get the other one to be the priority? Is it a bios command somewhere?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac