Clean reinstall Win98SE hangs at c:\> after....

Boluwd 22:16 06 Apr 04

I have reformatted and installed Win98SE on my pc including the updates on the new windows disc and on the Widows website. After installing McAfee Virus Scan 7 Professional and updated on their website I am having freezeups just after the bootscan, where you have the Summary Report on c:\*.*. A list of files scanned, clean etc is shown followed by c:\>. This should be followed by Windows GUI opening up to the desktop. However, mine just hangs forever at c:\>.

The only way to boot to desktop is by starting in Safe Mode, OR, unchecking the following line in Autoexec.bat file

"C:\Progra~1|Common~1\Network~1\Viruss~1\40~1XX\scanpm.exe c:\".

Unfortunately, this also disables the automatic bootscan at startup. Has anyone seen this problem before? Or indeed is it a problem at all not having bootscan?

hugh-265156 00:11 07 Apr 04

i have not used either McAfee or windows 98 but i would untick this option if its causing problems for you.

enable quick boot in your bios if its available and disable any virus scaning at boot and just run a full check as normal whenever you update you AV. from within windows maybe.

Boluwd 19:22 07 Apr 04

Thanks for your reply. I have enabled quickboot and I've unchecked the line in Autoexec.bat

It's just weird because it was ok before the reformat. I tried to send a message to McAfee technical last night by pressing their "send e mail now" button......don't know if it worked or not. I'll find out (or not) soon enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…