Clean reinstall of w7 oem

sputnick 11:43 AM 15 May 11

I have always build my own PC`s and used retail O/S. If a pc is bought from new and has a oem O/S is it possible to do a reinstall if it goes bad. I`m still thinking of getting a retail O/S though .

bremner 11:45 AM 15 May 11

Yes

The Product key will be on the MS sticker on the machine.

Strawballs 12:15 PM 15 May 11

The only difference between them is an OEM dies with the machine and retail you can transfer from machine to machine as long as only on one at a time (unless multi licence)

robin_x 12:25 PM 15 May 11

Most OEM pre-installed machines have recovery partitions containing OS/drivers and free apps (bloatware). Though the apps are useful for many.

And they offer to make a set of DVDs with the same.

Often referred to as Factory (or System) Restore (or Recovery)

While the DVDs (and boot CD/DVD) should be considered essential emergency supplies, it is more convenient to set up Windows, install AV and security, browser etc, then make a System Image to an external HDD.

My cleanish rebuild is taking just 20 mins to USB 2,0 drive for a complete image. It's a darn sight easier than setting up from completely new.

sputnick 16:40 PM 15 May 11

Thanks all.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay