clean up old hard drives

terryf 11:48 04 Mar 06

I am running win xp pro. I have some old 20gb HD's that I want to give to my son (he says he can use them) They are currently FAT32 and I want to reformat them. If I plug them in as 2nd HD the OS won't load. Have tried to create a win98 boot floppy so that I can boot up from that and the Format. None of the '(*SE boot disk@ programs that I have downloaded work, they will not create a floppy. Any suggestions please

rawprawn 11:57 04 Mar 06

Have you set the jumpers on the old HD to slave?

terryf 12:02 04 Mar 06

Don't think slave works because I have sata to parallel converters for my present 2 disks and they are both set to master on separate sata channels, thanks for suggestion

pj123 12:09 04 Mar 06

Try downloading a Win 98SE bootdisk from

click here

terryf 12:16 04 Mar 06

Sorry, been there, done that and for some reason can't make a boot disk, I have tried on two PC's running xp pro and they both come up with read errors during compilation of disk, Disk check out ok using FD properties,tools.

terryf 12:23 04 Mar 06

Found an old win98 boot FD, will try that this afternoon and come back with results

terryf 15:43 04 Mar 06

Plugged a drive in as master, booted from XP CD and stated ist part of installation then sw'offed after the part where the drive was formatted then repeated for second drive.

AL E Mirror 16:38 04 Mar 06

Does this leave them completly clean as I have serveral old hard drives I used for my accounts but will not give them away for fear of data still being on there

terryf 18:43 05 Mar 06

Think so because Windows formats drive before installing if you ask it to either FAT32 or ntfs. but I googled, look here click here
Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…