Clean up laptop?

mikbarb 08:15 05 Sep 04

How do I clean up laptop without having to reload widows office etc

johnsims 08:27 05 Sep 04

Damp cloth?

Seriously, you need to provide a bit more info. What OS? What precisely do you mean by "clean up"? What has prompted the need for a clean up - is there or has there been a problem? If so what was it?

Diodorus Siculus 09:02 05 Sep 04

Uninstall anything you don't want.

Get a good registry cleaner - eg crapcleaner or RegScrubXP if you have XP.

Empty all temp folders.

Do a defrag.

The above are general suggestions; give some more info as requested by johnsims

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:24 05 Sep 04

hi,let me guess you have an old laptop one of those horrible grey ones and you wan't to do it up?.i have done this before i started off with installing windows 95 via floppies it had no cd rom it previously had 3.11.i also wen't one ebay and upgraded the memory from 12mb to 24mb.also instead of opening the laptop up and putting a new hdd in i got a CF card reader and CF card (256) so i had another drive (also it 256 was the size of my harddisk.my laptop runs pretty well now my next challenge is to install usb and usb support on it now.thanks.ben

mikbarb 10:34 05 Sep 04

laptop Inspiron 8000 with windows 2000 Pro Office XP Pro 10 Gg hard drive looking to restore to virgin mode! i.e. format without having to reload all software.

Diodorus Siculus 12:03 05 Sep 04

"format without having to reload all software"

To do this, you need to have an image of the disk as it was at new.

To format implies the removal of all software; hence it will not be possible to "format" AND not "reload software".

Do you have a recovery disk from Dell? A dsik with Windows 2000 on it?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 15:05 05 Sep 04

do you have an image it will be something like *.IMG i still have an image of windows 98 on a disc.Diodorus Siculus do you know how to restore this image?.thanks.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…