Clean Installation of Windows XP

Jonas Berry 17:56 29 Jul 03

I've been having niggling troubles with Window XP and I now want to do a 'clean' installation of the OS. Can anyone point me to a step-by-step 'duffers guide' as to how to go about it? I've tried installing from within XP but I'm not happy.

User-312386 18:02 29 Jul 03

1st things 1st

do you have a windows XP upgrade disc? Or a full edition?

If you have an upgrade, do you have a previous version of windows?

OneSirKnight 18:08 29 Jul 03

Is it xp home or pro.and if you have full edition, try first of all the compatability test from the cd options here

Jonas Berry 18:10 29 Jul 03

I have XP upgrade with a previous version of windows (98 SE)

User-312386 18:10 29 Jul 03

he allready has XP

User-312386 18:20 29 Jul 03

Ok thats good

what you need to do is this

Restart the computer, when you hear the 1st beep start tapping the Delete key, this will take you into the bios

When in bios reset the boot sequence to CD-ROM as 1st boot, save the settings and pop the XP disc in

Now when computer restarts you will be presented with the XP start up, look down the list for reformat HDD with a clean install, delete all operating systems

When formatting do it in the NTFS file system and not in FAT32

Delete all partitions, at this stage XP may ask you for the previous version of windows.

When XP has stated that format has been carried out, restart computer and tap the delete key again, going into the BIOS and reset back to Hard drive as 1st boot.

Now save settings and the computer will restart.

now XP will install

Jonas Berry 20:30 29 Jul 03

Thanks for that Madboy33. I hope this be the end of my problems. Will let you know in due course.

User-312386 20:52 29 Jul 03

My pleasure

hope all goes well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…