clean installation

ZBQW 22:08 17 Feb 03

I installed XP as an upgrade over ME and have had problems with crashes. I have unistalled XP with add/remove programs back to ME. What is the easiest way to remove ME so that I can install XP "clean"? and yes, I know I should have done this in the first place!

Taran 22:19 17 Feb 03

If you have the full XP and not the upgrade version, just run setup from the XP disk and choose the option to "perform a new installation"

Try this link for some useful hints: click here

Taran 22:24 17 Feb 03

I should also have said that during setup you get the option to delete the original partition (that's the one with ME on it) then once you've done this you get further prompts to create a new partition then format it for the install to continue.

You can also use a Windows ME startup floppy disk to do the same things then boot your PC from the XP CD-ROM

Altair 22:28 17 Feb 03

Use your startup disk and start the computer type in format c: then enter. when your harddrive is formatted restart with the startup disk in A drive and start with cdrom support.
Put your win XP in the cd drive and type SETUP and it will load your system, but make sure you have your ME cd as it will want to verify you have a previous O/S disk.
Make sure you have backed up ALL your important files and you have all your driver disks to hand as once you format there is no going back.
You can make a startup disk by going to Add/Remove progs and following the instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac