clean install xp pro

howard60 12:56 23 Jul 05

I am interested in doing a clean install of xp pro. Prior to sp2 I would just have put the xp pro cd in and chosen the option for clean install. Since sp2 if I put the cd in it tells me it is an older version and will not run. Is the only way now to remove sp2 and then use the cd. Comments would be appreciated.

mattyc_92 13:06 23 Jul 05

To do a clean install, you should boot from the installation disk and format the system.... You will then notice that the wizard copies some files to your system. It will restart and start to install Windows for you.

You may need to edit the BIOS boot sequence in order to boot from the installation disk.

howard60 13:28 23 Jul 05

mattyc_92 - as I said the cd will not run as it says it is an older version.

mattyc_92 13:29 23 Jul 05

It WILL if you boot from it (insert the disk, restart the system and look out for the "press any key to boot from CD" message and press a key to boot from the installation disk)

howard60 13:34 23 Jul 05

mattyc_92 - thanks but it still says older version and will not go any further.

mattyc_92 13:39 23 Jul 05

That is impossible.... It doesn't read the drive's operating system to see if it is older or not.

I have done this many times myself.... Are you sure you are booting from the disk? If you can use the mouse, then you are not booting from the disk.

mattyc_92 13:43 23 Jul 05

Your first screen from the installation wizard should look like this click here

howard60 13:47 23 Jul 05

mattyc_92 - ok I will go back to the machine later and try again. Thanks again.

mattyc_92 13:48 23 Jul 05

Hope you get it working again.....

Ianjp 13:52 23 Jul 05

It depends on the XP Pro version you have. Some will do as you say. Boot from a Win98SE floppy or similar and use FDISK to delete the non-DOS partition. Then boot off your XP CD and that should work.

Completealias 13:58 23 Jul 05

If the file system is NTFS then you can't use a win98 floppy as it can't read NTFS partions.

Killdisk click here will complete erase any partion info and information on the drive you can then boot with the xp cd create a partion, format and reinstall

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…