Clean install of XP

quill 16:50 15 Nov 04

I've need to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system - XP on a machine.
Any pitfalls I need to be aware of?
Thanks

ventanas 16:54 15 Nov 04

click here

click here

click here

Should cover just about everything.

ventanas 16:56 15 Nov 04

What these sites won't tell you is to make sure you have the Windows updates that block Blaster and Sasser so you can safely go on line to activate.

PA28 17:12 15 Nov 04

Make sure that you have (validated) backups of your data, plus your program disks and updates, together with any necessary drivers. I normally print a screen dump of various pages and the desktop to remind me what was there. However hard I try, I always miss something, but as soon as you press the format button it's gone - really gone! Then you remember what it was......

david.h 17:20 15 Nov 04

after the install use the sp2 cd to install sp2 and also install antivirus and firewall before going online

quill 17:54 15 Nov 04

thanks for your helpful comments and advice. Next question: do I need to reformat the hard drive (fdisk) or is this automatically part of the xp installation?

mosfet 18:35 15 Nov 04

Do it all from XP cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…