Clean Install of Windows ME problem

Giggle n' Bits 09:47 19 Nov 05

After having my machine crash for unknown reason I have now performed a Fdisk, formatted (AGAIN as I speak) and want to instal WinME fresh.

Problem is, when I start to type in the Product ID Key from my geniune Retail WinME CD the Mouse freezes. I can navigate with the TAB key but don't want to procedd with the installation untill the Mouse is functioning.

So I ask what can check to cure this problem please. I have replaced the mouse and thats working fine (Ps/2 MS Intellimouse)

I did upgrade the memory 2 years ago and have 2x 256MB PC2100 DDR (Total 512MB)

Also added a CD Wtr about 2 years ago, the machine is a AMD Athlon 1.4GHZ, Asus A7V266-E

I am going out now but will be back latter today to try and continue to sort it out sao any ideas even if someone see other suggestions I am willing to try anything

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 09:48 19 Nov 05

Why not proceed - the mouse could well begin to work?

^wave^ 11:04 19 Nov 05

i would proceed as the problem with the mouse is may well be due to the fact that you have no drivers for it yet as windows is not installed

Giggle n' Bits 19:38 19 Nov 05

boxes to proceed to the next step and again the mouse wouldn't work, there are drivers installed from the WinME boot disk for the mouse, I

Giggle n' Bits 19:40 19 Nov 05

The mouse should work no problem when at the stage for typing in the Windows ME ID Key.

I have removed a DIMM of memory, one DVD Drive and still the same. Again I am running a HDD diagnostic on the Segate HDD.

Giggle n' Bits 20:12 19 Nov 05

and this has tested fine with no errors.

Only thing I have is motherboard, Graphics Card, Floppy Disk Drive. The is not overheating problem, M/board 27 & CPU 55 (Athlon 1.4 266FSB not XP Revision)

I havent changed anything in the BIOS, Can anyone suggest anything please

Skyver 20:25 19 Nov 05

If you're on broadband, and/or have access to a PC with a CD writer, download a Linux LiveCD and see if things lock up/fail to work. The following links are Linux CD images that recognise a wide range of hardware; f-p://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/dsl-1.5.iso
(direct 50mb download, replace - with t)

Slax includes more applications click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…