clean install of Win XP Home Edition from 2000 Pro

MOMORRIS 23:51 04 Jul 05

How would I undertake such a task with no Original WIN 2000 Pro boot disk? I have a brand new copy of WIN XP Home edition and i am unable to install it. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Cheers Mo

LastChip 00:10 05 Jul 05

Go into the BIOS and set your first boot device as your CD drive, save and exit.

Pop your XP cd into the drive and let it boot. The cd will run the installation from there.

Words of warning.

This method will destroy ALL existing data on your drive, so now is the time to backup anything you need.

If your hard drive is SCSI (unlikely), SATA (possible) or is using a RAID controller, make sure you have the drivers available on a floppy disc and press the appropriate F key (F6 from memory) during installation. If this applies, you only have a few seconds right at the start of the installation to do this, so watch the screen carefully.

click here for some screen shots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…